21 November 2006

Work, work, work and a crisis on top of this

Have been quite busy last week and am on the verge of exhaustion. Although I have been reading like a nun these past weeks, my To Do List won't get any shorter:

- My first essay (in SEA GP) is due in less than two weeks and I have no idea what to write about or how to go about the essay. However, I already know how to reward myself for it: Will see "Breaking and Entering".

- Univie professor Seiser sent an e-mail to everybody who participated in her Qualitative Research Methods seminar last semester to inform us that at that time, she had not even received 50 % of the transcribed interviews we are required to submit (deadline 30 November). So I spent Sunday doing that until I ran out of battery and I couldn't find the other batteries I had. Guess where my battery recharger was: In my locker at Russell Square. 2km of walk. Neither time nor ganas being already stressed out and all.

- After a nap earlier this evening, I got up at 11 pm and finished reading the excerpt on Vietnam in my reading pack for my SEA GP lesson at 9 am today. Took me five hours to work through it. I should really try to read things in one piece and stop the time I commit to doing that to increase efficiency. As I logged into the online platform later to check if the lecturer (the one that makes me squirm every time in his tutorials) had assigned any further readings, I found one (another 23 pages) and also the information that George W. Bush visits Vietnam now for the APEC meeting. The course convenor expects us of course to read some articles from the press coverage. Great. Luckily, I didn't find much on Vietnam in The Times Online and I didn't try harder.

- Lately and absolutely the most serious on top of this is that I remembered that Development Studies has actually never been my first choice. I took it in Austria because the education system in Austria is structured into credits (equivalent of weekly hours) which are divided into major subject and "the rest" (either one minor or several ones combined or an individual combination of lectures). Consequently, I picked development because it provides an introduction into politics and economy and therefore compliments anthropology, being a humanity (also, I was thinking of the graduate job market for anthropologists). When I applied to SOAS, I thought, "I have already started with this, let's take this as a combined course". What I didn't know was that Development Studies at SOAS is taught much more from an economic perspective, compared to the more theory-oriented approach (at least at the beginning of study) in Austria. Additionally, the education system is different and therefore implicates increased effort in the study of the subject (such as spending 6 hours on average on reading) and I guess you concluded yourselves, that I lack the motivation to do this.
Everytime I go to the tutorial, I think, "What am I doing here? I have no idea what they are talking about!" Problem is, it highly likely that it is too late for a degree change but I will talk to my tutors nevertheless and see if there is anything at all that can be done about this.

Keep you updated.

0 courageous comments!: