02 December 2006

William Rodriguez, Aids Day and SEA party

William Rodriguez:
20 years' janitor of the North Tower of the WTC and who was "the last person that left the building before it collapsed" was invited by the SOAS Open Mind Society for a talk. A short excerpt of the announcement e-mail will clarify who he is.
"On 9/11, Rodriguez single-handedly rescued fifteen persons from the WTC, and as Rodriguez was the only person at the site with the master key to the North Tower stairwells, he bravely led firefighters up the stairwell, unlocking doors as they ascended, thereby aiding in the successful evacuation of unknown hundreds of those who survived. Rodriguez, is believed to be the last person to exit the North Tower alive, surviving the building's collapse by diving beneath a fire truck."

He was made a national hero, his testimony was heard in the 9/11 Commission but not included in the final report. Rodriguez now tours the world to voice his (conspiration) theory about "what really happened". He says he lives off donations for the DVD he sells (he signs them by default and lets people take pictures with him). I've got one where he holds practically the same speech at another event. If anyone's interested, let me know. You can also have a look at his website. His talk was very interesting, however, I don't think it appropriate to make a show out of it.

World Aids Day:
People were asked to wear red and/or to donate by purchasing the red ribbon. I wish I hadn't erased that e-mail, then I could tell you for sure that the Charity Society was organising this. I found the idea to wear sth read ingenious and there were actually quite some people who showed their solidarity!

SEA Party:
After the Rodriguez event I went to the party by the SEA department. Burmese food and music (with traditional instruments) and a lot of wine (some packed in bags which I find quite "uncivilised" as an Austrian *g*) - that's the setting. After a heatful debate about how glad the Germans and I actually are NOT to be of the same country (and of the Germans not to be from the same states within their country), we were joined by a rich guy from Kuwait (whose father is negotiating energy in Frankfurt at the moment and who told us that his peers are so spoilt that they go to uni six years after they graduate) who embarassed Silvia to no end and a Russian-but-grown-up-elsewhere-around-Europe who I was left alone with and who was having problems understanding my repeated (subtle at first, later rather clear) messages that I did NOT want to go somewhere else with him after that evening! I even had to call upon help from Mischa (a GERMAN, of all people! *lol*) to "rescue" me by engaging me in conversation! I just hope that Alexej will have had more Vodka than memory...

0 courageous comments!: