27 May 2007

Light me up

Today, as yesterday, the day before that and the day before that, it is raining. People say, every cloud has a silver lining but if you haven't seen the sun in weeks, that makes you seriously wonder why so many people are happy with a silver lining when they can have a golden ray of sunshine.

Seriously, ever since term 3, London has been covered in an opaque grey blanket, the sun only showing itself once a week (if at all) just to torture anyone who might have hoped in foolish glee that it is going to stick to the damn sky - just to disappear again, leaving you aching for serotonin.

Dr. Lifestyle (remember, the Gower St doctor I consulted around January when I slept so much it caused me to worry) seemed to have been right about the lack of sunlight thing, I just wonder why she didn't call SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) by its name. My point is that since this state of feeling sleepy all day, relying on coffee which alleviates that but doesn't animate your spirits and this general gloomy I-am-staying-in-today-even-if-that-sucks-to-hell mood is unbearable (no surprise so many British people migrate to the Canary Islands or the Mediterranean), I am going to do something against it.

Since I can't afford light therapy lamps, even though they surely are a damn good investment for anyone staying longer in this country, I am going to buy full spectrum light bulbs instead which despite their price (15 £) are worth the try.

2 courageous comments!:

natascha said...

solarium soll auch helfen.

Heidi Jahn said...

but light bulbs are cheaper on the long (AND short) run.